Confession time peeps; if I were on death row (probably for stabbing somebody who was walking too slowly in front of me!) and it came to my last meal request I would most definitely order the largest bowl of fries you’d ever laid eyes on! They’d be smothered in tomato sauce AND mayo, cos that’s how I roll. I’d also have a side of mashed potato, potato gratin, hash browns and thrice cooked, duck fat roast potatoes, but that’s beside the point and a whole other therapy session. All my friends know that I am a fry-fiend and love a good salty snack! I love them so much that if it were legal I’d probably marry them *shrug* just saying!
Anyway, we all know eating fried food isn’t the best for your waist line or your cholesterol, so I try and limit my chippy consumption to every now and then. But what do I do when the urge takes over and I want to smash a bowl of fries? I make this yummy, low-cal option instead!
Sweet potatoes are jam-packed with fibre and protein and are lower in calories than a regular spud. Being oven baked they won’t have that crunch factor like a fried chip, but they are still super delicious! I especially love the combo of cinnamon and salt and these babies don’t disappoint. This would work as a lovely side dish or on it’s own with some T-sauce/mayo as I tucked into on the weekend. Quick, ridonkulously easy and ever so tasty, what more could you want? Bon appetit xo
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 pinches of rock salt
- tomato sauce, mayo, BBQ sauce etc. optional!
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Melt your coconut oil in the microwave and set aside.
- Peel and cut your sweet potato into batons. Pour the coconut oil, cinnamon and salt all over the batons and coat them all over. Pop them on a baking tray and in the oven for 15 minutes before tossing them around and then back in for another 15 minutes.
- Pour yourself a diet coke (or your bevvy of choice) and sit back and prepare to smash down a bowl of these babies! BEWARE: you won’t want to share!!
What would your death row final meal request be??