If you’re anything like me you struggle for lunch time ideas. There are just so many salads and sushi rolls you can consume before you go a little nuts. Plus if I have to buy lunch every day then sooner or later I’m going to need to take out a second mortgage what with options being $10+ a pop. I like to keep it fairly light and simple so I don’t hit that post lunch food coma I get if I eat something super heavy. You know that feeling of staring at your computer one second and the next it’s February 2015..wait, what?!
I stumbled upon this recipe for Brown Rice Pie that I thought would be a welcome inclusion into my repertoire. I’ve told you all how I love to use left over rice to make my own version of fried rice, and this recipe is another great option to use up left overs. I’ve added chilli and spinach to this version, but you can add any vegetable you like and as always you can omit the chilli if you’re a wuss! Bon appetit xo
Brown Rice Pie
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (I’ve used rice milk, but you can use the regular cow juice)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed and strained
- 3 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 birds eye chilli, diced
- a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg
- a handful of shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Beat together eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onions until they’re translucent. Add the garlic, chilli and spinach and warm through.
- In a large bowl combine the spinach mix to the rice and crumble over the cheese and pour in the eggs and stir through, mixing well. Transfer the mixture into a greased pie/casserole dish and pat down. Sprinkle with more pepper and parmesan cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy with a side salad and a crisp white wine, or if you’re like me and taking this to work for lunch refrain from showing your drinking problem to your colleagues and sip on some water – boring, but oh so much better for you!