The joy of commuting to work by public transport is the opportunity to eavesdrop on peoples conversations. Usually it’s the most inane topics you’ve ever heard and that’s when headphones come in mighty handy! Sometimes there are fun and juicy titbits to devour. The other morning I was listening in on two women (both looked in their mid to late 40s) who were going through their career histories. The first woman said that she had only ever had two jobs and had been in her current role for almost 20 years! The other was rattling off a list of jobs as long as her arm.
That got me thinking about my own work history and the fact that I have also had quite a varied and random list of job roles. I wasn’t always an illustrious blogger *ahem* and some of the titles I’ve held were/are;
- Cashier at a family entertainment centre (think video games, pinball machines etc.)
- Cleaner (for long stay holiday apartment rentals, you do NOT want to know about some of the shit I saw literally and figuratively!)
- Waitress (a very bad one!)
- Cashier (at a petrol/gas station)
- Actor/entertainer – Universal Studios Japan
- Summer camp counsellor – (remember, that one time at band camp?)
- Admin/Customer Service – my first foray into office work and alas it wasn’t my last!
- Admin & various temp roles when I first got to London
- Customer Service Rep
- Customer Services Rep/Credit Management (basically a call centre slave)
- Various temp roles when I got back to Australia
- Reception/Admin Assistant/Office Manager
- Office Manager/Senior Admin Assistant /P.A.
- Blogging sensation!
General shenanigans working at BP in 2001
That’s at least 14 odd jobs I could think of! Phew, no wonder I’m tired. What about you dollface? How many jobs have you had and were they a mixed bag like mine?
Categories: People & Places