Most of us can’t help but live on a strict budget. You know how it is; mortgage/rent, bills (and more bills!),
child pet care costs, fun at wine o’clock, etc. It all becomes a little too much on the ol’ purse strings when you want to go out and treat yourself to a new outfit. There are definitely trends that you can forego if you don’t have the splash cash for them but I believe these staples are a must have in every wardrobe.
Without a doubt my key piece is a fabulous bra – without that it’s all downhill *ahem*. Once the girls look great you’ll look and feel great. Now let’s build on that :: here are my 8 staple pieces in my wardrobe that I can’t live without. When all else fails and I need to throw an outfit together quickly these will without a doubt be in the mix…
1. Blazer We all know I love a blazer!! For the longest time I was all about the cardigan to keep me warm in and out of the office (and don’t get me wrong I still love my cardis) but I feel a blazer just makes any outfit seem polished.
2. Jeans A few years ago I fell out of love with jeans and vowed never to wear them again…it didn’t last long! I got disheartened when “skinny jeans” became a thing and I couldn’t fit into a pair but I finally learnt that just because they were popular didn’t mean I had to struggle to fit into them. Instead I found a pair that complemented my shape and it’s been true love ever since. PLUS it helps that Kmart have super cheap pairs to play with.
3. Stripe top I don’t know what it is about stripes but I just adore them. I think a striped top is a classic piece and so easy to team with jeans or a skirt. And who says it has to be boring? :: you can totally bling it out with sequins or with a clashing print.
4. Heels I’ve said it before but if you told me 10 years ago that I would have a collection of high heeled shoes in my wardrobe I would have laughed in your face! Oh how times have changed! A great pair of heels can zhuzh up any outfit.
5. LBD We’ve all read it and we all know it’s true:: One is never overdressed or underdressed with a little black dress. If I can impart any of my wisdom to you lovely gals it’s this: go get yourself a little black dress pronto! You will always need one and they will never go out of style.
6. Hat This will without a doubt be your saving grace when you are just having a bad hair day or if you’re due to get your roots touched up. Even if you are rocking the best hair a hat is such a cute addition to any outfit and makes you instantly 1000 times cooler than you actually are, it’s a fact!
7. Sweater Like jeans I vowed never to wear a jumper/sweater ever again – something about them irritated me and I hated the way they exaggerated my bust size and made me look bigger. I’ve since learnt that I like thinner knits and love the way I can dress them up or down. It also helps when they have an adorable print on them!
8. Clutch Now that you’ve got a cracking outfit you have to finish it off with a fun clutch. The great thing about a clutch is that they don’t have to be expensive and because of that you can chop and change and have a few in your repertoire (or a whole collection in my case!)
What are your go-to must have pieces in your wardrobe? Do you find yourself buying the same pieces over and over again?